My take on why DBOG is not P2W

• Before we get started on this thread, let me address a few rules:

• You will not flame, trash, and or start wars against each other or towards myself. This is my own opinion.
    • Do not post if your intention is to start a problem.
    • You are allowed to post your own opinion as so do others. Just please make sure it's appropriate and will not cause issues.
    • Any posts that are deemed flame, trash posting, or war posting will result in an immediate removal of your post.

Okay, let's begin.

I've recently noticed within the community that there are a bunch of people claiming that DBOG is P2W, and while I can see where people are coming from about this, I am gonna have to deny that it is. A lot of people think Daneos is raking up a ton of money and is a millionaire, but in reality he's not making that much at all. I will not give you exact details or estimations on how much he does get per donation, but think of it as this: He doesn't get the full amount. Taxes are involved, payment wall is involved, etc. which does take quite a bit of his donation money. You also need to realize that Daneos isn't hungry for money, he's just trying to invest more into the game and provide a better experience for everyone and its community. If he didn't care or was in it for the money we'd probably set back a ton of updates and missing current day features. But enough of that, let's get into the real reasoning: People are claiming that the Cash Shop is P2W, but it's not. A lot of the items you see there can be obtained in-game with enough farming. Lets take EXP Scrolls/Boosts as an example, people think that they are P2W when they're not. In fact the scrolls you get when you start the game are better and would be valued more. You can also buy the Cash Shop scrolls via the DBOG Forum Marketplace or the DBOG Trade Chat for a fair amount of zeni. Next reason: I honestly don't understand where people get this idea from that this is P2W, but how do dogis affect gameplay at all? All they are is just pure cosmetics. Sure, you can add some stats to them with a Dogi ball, but not many people use those at all if any. Next reason: While I can see where Skill Reset Books can be P2W it honestly isn't that much. The amount it costs just to buy 1 Reset Book is quite a lot and not many people can afford that much books if they wanna reset their skills. Everyone is better off using the Skill Reset NPCs before level 30 (Before you MC/Adult) and restart your tree from there to suit your wants. Sure, people do mess up at times and accidentally click a skill they didn't wanna learn, but for a good price you can possibly spend some Zeni for someone to buy it for you. Final reason: Brown Boxes. Boy, have I seen people argue left and right about this, but let me give my own opinion: Honestly, brown boxes aren't necessarily P2W. The amount it costs just to buy 10 Brown Boxes is quite a lot, and you're not even guaranteed to get a good restructuring of your armor. You'd likely lose more profit than you can gain if anything. Crafting can just gain you equal value if not better than a brown box for a cheaper price if you know what you're doing.

Anyways, I'll end the thread here. While I can continue on giving my thoughts and all, I decided to let the community speak for itself and give their own opinions about my thoughts. Just remember to follow the rules!

And to you guys who don't wish to read the messy post or just want a quick rundown:
    Daneos and money: To put it simple, he doesn't make a lot of money from each donation. He loses quite a big percentage of his money due to thinks such as taxes, etc.
    Dogis: How are these even P2W? They're just cosmetics. Sure, you can add a dogi ball, but they're rarely used and can be expensive.
    Exp Scrolls/Boosts: They aren't that much worth it due to a small amount of boosted XP that you'd get compared to the level 1-30 scrolls. If you wish you could buy a scroll from someone and let them gift you it if you wish. They do go for a good amount of zeni.
    Skill Reset Books: They aren't near P2W as people claim. You can easily just go to a Skill Reset NPC (Before you MC/Adult) and request a skill reset for a cheap price. After that you can just simply restart your skill tree and continue the path you'd wish to go. If you want, you can easily buy books from someone who's selling them for a fair price.
    Brown boxes: You'd more than likely lose profit than gain really. You're better off crafting if you know what you're doing for cheaper.

These are just my thoughts and opinions. I would like you guys to respect that.

- Clyde, DBOG Translator

• Honestly, people who think the game is P2W are just not in the mood to waste time on something they want to waste time on!
    Let's say this, if you are playing an MMORPG game, or any video game for that matter, you agree to the fact that you won't gain anything from doing it but fun (OR as my mom call it, STRESS) and you will waste your time on it :)
    I don't necessarily like it when my parents tell me that "Video games are a waste of your time, you can be sitting with us instead", but I know that they are actually right. I am wasting my time, and I like doing so if I have fun. I am ready to waste 5 hours playing in a football (Soccer) tournament on my school field. People have gotten to the point where they think that video games aren't a waste of their time and that they are not going to "waste time" on them. They all just want to get everything they want as fast as possible. If someone is willing to pay money to get a 100% EXP boost for lvl 1-70, then it is not P2W, it is just that they will work 2 hours to get what they get in 4. It is not P2W, it is just a short cut.
    Example, I want to go to a fancy clothing store at the other side of town and there are 2 ways to get there. There is a road that cuts directly through the middle of the town (FAST WAY), but I have to pay a fee of $10 to drive on that road. and there is another road that goes to the outskirts of the town and then back into it (LONG WAY), but going on it is completely free. You will reach your destination either way, it just depends on your patience to get there.

• The only thing P2W were upgrade tickets and its a good thing it was removed.
    And some people say that lvl 33 clock is P2W but its not.. using it only gives you a head start in leveling and nothing else which is so not P2W coz it only takes 5-6 hrs to get to lvl 33(like badass said is just a short cut).And also if the white stones are implemented as mob drops then it'll be really great and would make the game more fair giving non-cashers a chance to make items +10 or higher.

• I agree with everyone here. Honestly you're getting a game for free and you can buy Cash Items for zeni quite simple. If people spend money on the game so be it. It's their money, let them do what they want with it. If a game was P2W then everyone would be dead overpowered and rule over lower ranks. The only problem at the moment is defense, hence how we die easily. It's not because they're OP (Sorta). P2W would be like "Instant level 70 with strongest armor in the game to beat anyone"

• The only thing P2W were upgrade tickets and its a good thing it was removed.
    And some people say that lvl 33 clock is P2W but its not.. using it only gives you a head start in leveling and nothing else which is so not P2W coz it only takes 5-6 hrs to get to lvl 33(like badass said is just a short cut).And also if the white stones are implemented as mob drops then it'll be really great and would make the game more fair giving non-cashers a chance to make items +10 or higher.

The stones are already implemented, but lately they haven't been dropping, no one knows the exact reason though.

• For me the best way to kill any P2W system is having only Items in the shop purely cosmetic to avoid any kind of adventage by adquiring an item from Cash shop. x)

ya but then how will the devs earn money ?only cosmetic items in C.shop wont be enough(that would also make them really expensive). That idea would only work for a non-profit game if there is one xD

• It was just an opinion and if you say it wont be enough.. just look at the trade chat in game, there are ppl like 25/8 selling dogis x)

when i said it won't be enough i meant it won't be enough for the devs to rely only on cosmetic items for money and ya people do sell dogi's all the time coz they are good investments and rarely lose the value(unless new dogi's are updated).

• you honestly haven't play the retail (original dbo). I could list all the the stuff that is P2W, which is way more then the 2 reason that you listed, but we are still in the testing phase of game and we don't know if daneos plans on changing some of those factor making cash elusive item come from dungeon drop, events or whatever. So we should wait til open beta to complain if nothing gets changed during pre open beta.

• when i said it won't be enough i meant it won't be enough for the devs to rely only on cosmetic items for money and ya people do sell dogi's all the time coz they are good investments and rarely lose the value(unless new dogi's are updated).

Even with new dogis being implemented in the game, dogis will be at around the same price.
    When new dogis came around Oct 2012 in the TW DBO, the new dogis went for about 25-30 million and there was that one dogi that went for like 100 million. The regular dogis stayed at 15-20 million and then when the new ones gotten older, they dropped to the 15-20 range :)
    It is the cycle of life.... and Playstations :(

• you honestly haven't play the retail (original dbo). I could list all the the stuff that is P2W, which is way more then the 2 reason that you listed, but we are still in the testing phase of game and we don't know if daneos plans on changing some of those factor making cash elusive item come from dungeon drop, events or whatever. So we should wait til open beta to complain if nothing gets changed during pre open beta.

well he has listed the major ones.. and mainly it was P2W coz of tickets and white stones. there are other items but they dont make any big impact.

Even with new dogis being implemented in the game, dogis will be at around the same price.When new dogis came around Oct 2012 in the TW DBO, the new dogis went for about 25-30 million and there was that one dogi that went for like 100 million. The regular dogis stayed at 15-20 million and then when the new ones gotten older, they dropped to the 15-20 range :)
    It is the cycle of life.... and Playstations :(

ya like i said dogi's are good investment.

• Thing is people might think it's p2win after seeing ppl with +15 like shashou, but it's actually bug abusing players and everyone can't just know that.

They are just not expected to know that. Honestly, I had a character back in the development server that was lvl 59 and I had around 400 million zeni because of bugs and such. I had to delete it because I felt like such an asshole to have it around when the closed-beta was announced (Later on was called Pre-Open Beta) I am not sure if Daneos deleted all the characters in the development server though, I had none after I deleted that one!

• After 2 weeks of DBOG (TEST SERVER) started people had 70 level and 70 level gear +13-15. Tell me they dropped XXX crystals U70 from mobs in this time.

Some of my old DBO Friends said they won't play on official release becouse it will be even more P2W than original TW/HK version, and they dont want to waste time if someone spend XXX $ and have full gear.

• After 2 weeks of DBOG (TEST SERVER) started people had 70 level and 70 level gear +13-15. Tell me they dropped XXX crystals U70 from mobs in this time.

If you are applying that is P2W than that's not true. If they won anything than they have won an extremely long period of nothing but AGONY!
    They know that everything would be wiped.
    Also, it is still not P2W, they just paid money to have the short cut :)

• If you are applying that is P2W than that's not true. If they won anything than they have won an extremely long period of nothing but AGONY!They know that everything would be wiped.
    Also, it is still not P2W, they just paid money to have the short cut :)

Yes everything will be wiped.... BUT if Daneos can see he can get XXXXX $ becouse people huge cashed on Pre-Open Beta for Stones and dogis (for sale to buy gear) he will stay with this cash shop. I dont think he will bind dogi from Cash Shop, and remove Stones... He got nice business now.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!