Why do Cel-shaded Graphics SUCK?

• How come so many damn games that use cel shading techniques, look like fucking ps3/ xbox 360 releases? I find it absolutely mind-boggling how Idolm@ster Platinum Stars has better Cel-shaded character models than ANY other game in existence! For comparison:

(Remember to set all videos to 1080p, btw :P) And before you ask, yes, Platinum Stars runs in real time on PS4; it's not pre-rendered.

I mean, the only other game I have seen in which the character models don't look completely half-assed is Ni No Kuni 2, but even there it's clearly a step down from Platinum Stars. Now, I'm sure many of you will claim "Oh well Idolm@ster focuses SOLELY on the character models and there isn't much else to render due to the way the game plays". Now, that is most assuredly a good point, but Cel-Shading is NOT a taxing graphical effect (as far as I am aware).

If you would kindly take a brief look at the videos below:

^It is clear as day that the extra graphical prowess Uncharted 4 & Horizon Zero Dawn showcase is NOT on display with any of these cel-shaded games. So, since even a base Ps4 with a measely 1.8 TFLOPS of GPU power AND a CPU running at ONLY 1.6 Ghz can somehow handle games like this, why the hell can't ALL cel-shaded games have character models that look as good as Platinum Stars? Just chalk it up to the developers' laziness?

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!