Hybrid Swordsman Build Critique

• So I was playing around with the calculator, my Swordsman ingame, and going through EchoSon's guide on Swordsman (located here) and I realized that I have a tough time dealing with multiple mobs. Then it got me thinking "what can I do to help this?" I tested Burning Attack, and it was too large of an AOE to be practical and I felt Stronger Energy Barrage would be even less helpful. I tinkered around some more with my Energy Swordsman and figured "what about it's Dodge options?" So I did some heavy thinking for a build like that and this is what I came up with.

fFByQ6h.png

Some notes on the build.

• Intimidation goes well with Penetrate and Evade Up by further lowering the opponent's hitrate so I felt it was needed.
    • Concentration at 1 puts Gravity Break at 5.2 seconds and Flash plus Focused Gravity Break at 8.7 seconds, so I felt no need to add more SP into this buff.
    • Energy Recovery is at 1 because I won't be spamming a lot of RP effects, so gaining 1 SP was all I needed.
    • Flash was an interesting skill I thought of adding because it can combo with Quick Attack to allow me to get behind my opponent. 15m and 350% damage isn't bad either.
    • Maxed out Increase Hit Rate to help with Fighters and such.

So thoughts and comments on the build?

• I personally invest skill points into roar and concentration instead of intimidation, because I would rather increase my own hitrate and cooldown to help with executing combos over lowering my opponents hitrate.

If for example you weren't able to dodge a physical attack, you might be in a bit of danger because of the decrease in defense due to prepared to roar. But over all good build and I think it could potentially be viable.

• I don't have much experience in energy SM, just my thoughts.

I think penetrate is better at lvl 1, 4 more sp for 10 dex seems bad IMO. And you spent a lot of sp just to unlock concentration lvl 1.

I feel like burning attack would be good for farming. It will aggro a lot of mobs in the area without tanking them, and when they come close, use Final effort, and maybe end them with a Flash slash if some survive that. Final effort seems to have good damage, tho it uses your lp.

Maybe something like:
    http://tools.dboglobal.to/dbo_skill_calculator/?tool=Skill-Calculator&class=Swordsman&build=00011040011400011000440000000000141511114151601640

You can even get Stronger energy barrage lvl 1 for kd'ing supers or ultras. Im gonna test energy SM once I am lvl 70.

• It's definitely a creative build. The martial artist classes were just never correctly calibrated to excel with energy techniques. Personally I don't think this build will work well. It's like trying to use a turtle that focuses on physical attacks. As long as you're having fun with it that's all that matters.

• Oh I forgot to mention why Tunnel Slash is. I'm sure some of you may guess, but it's my luring skill for taking on bosses and such by getting them away from their support and fighting them 1-1.

I personally invest skill points into roar and concentration instead of intimidation, because I would rather increase my own hitrate and cooldown to help with executing combos over lowering my opponents hitrate.

If for example you weren't able to dodge a physical attack, you might be in a bit of danger because of the decrease in defense due to prepared to roar. But over all good build and I think it could potentially be viable.

Fair point. I'll take note of that. Thank you. :D

As I said, I tested Burning Attack and its AOE is too big to be considered practical. SM are a 1-1 class, not an AOE class. That's why I left it and all other AOEs out.

• Your build is something like an experiment if it even works. I really doubt. Not a pvp not a pve. The enemy with higher defense would not be even scratch by that. Why do you add block? Since a common attack defuse your shield and you get hit. Dodge. You won't ever dodge. At least not in a rate you'd be satisfied.
    You need a burrning attack, cause when you go % crit it gonna make really serious damage.
    It makes round 6-8k for me now, when I crit pvp. It may go much further.
    The RP buff - at lvl 4 it seems to go 2 RP insted of one. It makes a difference
    And the energy barrage may knock down by instant.
    As long as it's not anymore bugged like it was.
    When enemy could simply run out of aoe to avoid effect.
    But. You have all your time up to work it out.
    I'm sure that there is a chance for energy based SM.
    Since on pvp. They are still doing serious dmg without any buff support using physical slash.

• Block is a life-saver against Boss skills and can be used against other players if timed right.
    No I do not need Burning Attack. Focused Gravity Break gets the job done and it goes with the class better (1 on 1)
    As I said, Energy Recovery is at 1 because I won't be spamming KDs and such. Speaking of KD, I can always take 1 SP and put it into Concentrated Kamehameha

Trust me I know what I'm doing.

• Focused Kamehameha is super Underrated :(

I like it, it looks super cool and it does very nice damage.

Maybe you can look into that.

If so, you might want some DEX on the Dragon Ball Earrings to help you dodge or maybe a DEX TOP if you still have issues. Otherwise hitting those two would result in OP damage.

• Yeah Focused Kame looks cool, but the damage coming off gloves and its 2 sec charge makes it a little underwhelming.

• well .
    The basic use of is to circle mobs and bring them back to where you started grouping them. Youll then use the cd decrease rp on it and attack with it. The way u group the mobs can provide much of the time you need to cast the attack before any attack.
    You can then use it once more to finish everything off because youll have like a 3 or 4 second cd on it

• well .
    The basic use of is to circle mobs and bring them back to where you started grouping them. Youll then use the cd decrease rp on it and attack with it. The way u group the mobs can provide much of the time you need to cast the attack before any attack.
    You can then use it once more to finish everything off because youll have like a 3 or 4 second cd on it

Ah okay. Thank you.

• I'd agree that all those points in Penetrate is a waste.

Focused Kamehameha isn't that good, but it isn't that bad, either. Its AoE is surprisingly decent and it does okay damage if you're going to be Energy-slanted anyway. Focused Energy Barrage is arguably better, but it's also way more expensive to get.

Now that we're able to respec once a week, you may even be able to get away with trying a leveling build for the tougher grinds via opening with Burning Attack, and with good positioning, finishing them with a Focused Kamehameha. You might consider taking some points out of Increased Hitrate to accommodate something like that and see how it feels. May need to get lucky upgrading your gloves to ensure the two hit kill, though, or at the very least, pick on enemies with lower HP when mobbing. With the stakes so much lower, we're actually allowed to freakin' experiment with stuff we wouldn't normally without fear of ruining our damn characters.

• I'd agree that all those points in Penetrate is a waste.

Focused Kamehameha isn't that good, but it isn't that bad, either. Its AoE is surprisingly decent and it does okay damage if you're going to be Energy-slanted anyway. Focused Energy Barrage is arguably better, but it's also way more expensive to get.

Now that we're able to respec once a week, you may even be able to get away with trying a leveling build for the tougher grinds via opening with Burning Attack, and with good positioning, finishing them with a Focused Kamehameha. You might consider taking some points out of Increased Hitrate to accommodate something like that and see how it feels. May need to get lucky upgrading your gloves to ensure the two hit kill, though, or at the very least, pick on enemies with lower HP when mobbing. With the stakes so much lower, we're actually allowed to freakin' experiment with stuff we wouldn't normally without fear of ruining our damn characters.

Yeah I plan on resetting my build once I'm done leveling. Thinking of going for a Hybrid Crit. build to act as a DPS for PvP (obviously) and PvE stuff like CCBD.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!