Idea Discussion: Free Movement

• Hey bros, watsup? Since we're still waiting for the next thing to release, I figured why not start a discussion about an idea I've been pondering lately?

When playing the various Alphas of DBOG, I noticed that despite being essentially a click-based fighting game with button-based skills, most of the game revolved mainly around free movement as a whole. You can fly pretty much anywhere, parkour on mountains (yes, it can be done), and you have perfect 360 movement button-control...except when in combat. In combat beyond a few skills, you can't move around, or dodge whatsoever, you're just stuck in one spot.

Before I explain keep in mind this is just an idea, so don't complain about giving the devs too much work. They don't have to do this, this is just an idea, and I'm not really expecting it to happen. Just something I've been thinking about.

Anywho, I recently started playing GuildWars2, which actually has a pretty similar movement and combat system to DBO. However, the big difference was that there was completely free movement in combat. You could still lock-on to targets for certain skills, but you can walk back and forth, move to the side, or even dodge attacks. And not only are the skills buttons, but so are the basic attacks in the game, and it really makes combat fun.

What I found particularly interesting though is how close to this DBO feels to me. Sure, not ALL the movement mechanics are the same, but being able to freely control how your character moves including jumping covers most of what is necessary for this. If there were a way to program movement, even if very basic for DBO's combat, I think that could drastically improve the battle system. I mean, it's Dragon Ball, it feels weird to be so restricted.

However, this is just my idea, and I'm interested to hear what you guys think? Does something like this sound interesting, or is there a charm to the combat of DBO that I'm missing? Thanks! :thumbup: :thumbsup:

• Ideally a more free movement combat based system, where dodging a blast in real time can save you from being hit by the skill, would be a perfect situation for any MMO. However I think that leads to much more complications, such as dodging skills not working as effectively as it should. Also some players being able to exploit gameplay in some manner to gain an unfair advantage over other players. I'm not sure how that could be done but with bugs and other skills being factored in I'm sure it would happen.
    Which is why I think it's just best to have skills be optimized to simulate a sort of turn based fighting style. And I believe that's where the restricted movement comes into play.

• Ideally a more free movement combat based system, where dodging a blast in real time can save you from being hit by the skill, would be a perfect situation for any MMO. However I think that leads to much more complications, such as dodging skills not working as effectively as it should. Also some players being able to exploit gameplay in some manner to gain an unfair advantage over other players. I'm not sure how that could be done but with bugs and other skills being factored in I'm sure it would happen.
    Which is why I think it's just best to have skills be optimized to simulate a sort of turn based fighting style. And I believe that's where the restricted movement comes into play.

I get the complications part, but wouldn't a simpler fighting style leave more room for abuse, as guaranteed win patterns would be more obvious? From what I've heard DBO was not exactly a perfect game, there were classes with definite advantages and builds over others. And it's not like I'm suggesting infinite dodge, there would definitely have to be limits.

And keep in mind, this has been done before. As I said, there are games that have executed the "non-turn style MMO" and are very successful games, Elsword and GW2 come to mind. Guild Wars 2 in particular, because as I said before, there's a quite a few similarities between the games. Smite, despite being a MOBA, is also fairly similar and pulls it off fairly well. The main reason I bring this up for DBO is that it seems near setup for something along those lines, especially with how PvE and PvP focused the game is.

• I get the complications part, but wouldn't a simpler fighting style leave more room for abuse, as guaranteed win patterns would be more obvious? From what I've heard DBO was not exactly a perfect game, there were classes with definite advantages and builds over others. And it's not like I'm suggesting infinite dodge, there would definitely have to be limits.

And keep in mind, this has been done before. As I said, there are games that have executed the "non-turn style MMO" and are very successful games, Elsword and GW2 come to mind. Guild Wars 2 in particular, because as I said before, there's a quite a few similarities between the games. Smite, despite being a MOBA, is also fairly similar and pulls it off fairly well. The main reason I bring this up for DBO is that it seems near setup for something along those lines, especially with how PvE and PvP focused the game is.

The game was pretty balance, it just that you had find different way dealing with certain classes if you pick a underdog class like a crane,swordsmen,poko(just to sure about grand chefs those but Im pretty sure someone could of made it happen if they got the right gear and upgrades and a custom build), and when i mean dealing with certain classes I mean the right gear,the right build, and high upgrades.

• adrian on fire  Vegetto
    I think you played another game if you say that game was balanced.
    DBO was most unbalanced game i even seen.

@topic
    Idea is good, DB based mmorpg should be more dynamic than DBO is.
    But sadly it is not gonna happen, it is more than "giving the devs too much work".
    Also it would be huge change, some people wants to play same game as it was without drastic changes.

• I mean it wasn't that unbalance though it was just shadow knight, critical system, attack sppeed, turtle books, other then that it was fine just some classes like grand chefs and dark need to be buffed

• Guys, the entire point behind this idea isn't because DBO has problems, I was using that to explain that adding a dodge system wouldn't necessarily make things more broken. This was more an idea to make the game more fun as a whole, I'm sure the new addition would require balancing, I'm not implying it would make things more balanced. I just think it would make combat much more interesting.

Nady93

I wasn't exactly sure how much work that would be, so I did keep that as a possibility. That's why it's an idea, not a future update. As for the original DBO setup, part of this discussion was to see how attached people were to that playstyle. So far people seem pretty attached to the old one, so I'd say you're probably right about that.

• I believe I heard of DBO wanting to have free movement back then, but I'm not sure if it was just a rumor or an idea thrown around or teased by NTL at the time. Either way, I doubt the dodging part would happen (other than being able to move out of your opponent's range), but I'd enjoy being able to move while using skills. It would improve gameplay a whole lot and it won't look/feel so boring, compared to other games.

Not to mention that it would give more complexity and use to the backstrike mechanic, as it would be attempted to be used more often, instead of 2 people just standing there in front of each other, which would make combat a lot more lively.

Although, this doesn't have to work on every skill, but at least on the ones where it makes sense.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!