Why is this game worth playing?

• The year is 2018, there're dozens of other MMORPGS with a multitude of content available, all worthy of their own respective prices/microtransactions because in this day and age games are expected to actually satisfy the player and be fun to play. The notion of hundred hour grinds is a relic of the last decade, and is the reason DBO Died. I'm sick of having to grind, mindlessly, thoughtlessly, with the same classes as I did years ago, when I could easily login to Elder Scrolls Online and actually complete several new dungeons, while leveling up once or twice per hour playthrough. No mindless grinding for 4 hours just to level up once to gain a single skill point, No reason to grind stones to upgrade, but instead constantly access new skills/loot which guarantees horizontal, as opposed to linear progress.

This game doesn't reward skillful play- It rewards grinding. Nothing differentiates players but their gear being +10 or up. Strategy doesn't matter, cooperation with other players doesn't matter, there are no incentives for continuous play either than to mindlessly stare at the dated and abysmal graphics of an old dragon ball game that was made to exploit its players of their money.

If anyone could defend the game please feel free to do so. Explain why anyone new to this game should play this over literally anything else, and explain how the dreadful experience felt here is remotely enjoyable.

Let me put this into perspective: Virtually all characters playstyles are identical until about level 40, when they've gathered enough skillpoints to begin differentiating their play. It takes 15+ hours of grinding to reach this point. Think about that. You could beat an entire campaign in that time. You could play an beat dozens of other rpgs, level up in dozens of other mmo's, but here: Every character.... takes 15 hours of devotion just to start having fun. And this neglects the fact that the time it takes to level up from this point onwards slows down.

It can take up to a week of playtime just to reach the cap... where the game actually begins. And forget about alts, like holy hell why would anyone go through the torture? For a broken endgame? For a 100+ hour grind to get 15+ gear? No thanks.

• respectfully I cant defend the game as you made beautiful well placed arguments.

The only counter arguement (although weak) I think I can think of is most play this game out of nostalgia nothing more or less. Its the only thing this game offers better than any other current mmo or video game for a true dbz fan. I want to jump in and fire a kamehomeha from a tv show I grew up with, Sadly once the nostalgia dies many players find another game to suit there fancy, that is fine its life, enjoy it.:P

I cant convince ya to stay I wouldn't expect ya to as you noted this game isn't up to par interms of story and mechanics. I just say as a forum vet to another forum vet who has been here for a while, have fun and have a good one

best regards box-head(boxbox)

• I agree with you the senseless grinding at times can be very dreadful, I've thought about quitting this game countless of times. The only reason I got as far as I did into this game was because my connection can't handle many games, DBO just happened to be one of those games. And you're correct in the notion that mindless grinding is a relic of the last decade, however why this game was created roughly a decade ago so the mindless grinding makes sense in DBOG. Playing DBOG is like playing Vanilla WoW if the private servers changed the way the game a tad bit. The whole point of playing DBOG isn't to play a new exciting RPG, but rather to relive the nostalgia of Retail DBO. However Retail was severely flawed. and Daneos wanted to try to make a living off of DBO. This led to Daneos changing the game for the better and worse thus making DBOG his own project.

I agree that to a degree this game really doesn't reward skill play, however that doesn't mean there isn't a learning curve. Gear won't always decide the outcome if you place a highly skilled Crane versus a plus 15 noob Turtle, chances are that Crane will win. But you can argue that Crane has an advantage fair enough(however knowing to play against every other class in the entire game is apart of skill). Place a skilled Crane Hermit against a noob Crane, and that weak geared Crane will still win. Oh but Crane's attacks bypass defense? Fair enough, place a plus 0 skilled Turtle Hermit against a plus 10 Turtle Hermit who's a noob, and I'm fairly certain that the plus 0 turtle will win.

But if a plus 0 Crane were to be put up against a Karma, chances are they'll lose no matter how good at the game they are simply because Karma Majin heavily counters Crane. In that sense you'd be correct to say that the game doesn't differentiate between players in terms of skill. And with mediocre skill(Novice, not noob) but strong armor you could take down skilled weak players relatively easy. I'd argue that completely stomping on other players by using superior armor is kind of part of the fun of the game, this is Dragon Ball. It's why Broly's 1st movie was so popular, people like seeing a jacked guy beat everyone up without even flinching. You grind for armor, and if your armor is so much more superior to everyone else's you will win most of the game without investing much effort into the class.

In conclusion do I think DBO is worth playing? Despite the poor game design yes, in the right hands the game's totally worth playing if you're really into Dragon Ball. However I don't believe DBOG is worth playing anymore, there will always be players who exploit zeni/use bots to ruin the economy which takes the competitive part of the game out. It destroys your motivation knowing that there are players who simply pay exploiters a mere 200 USD and instantly gain better equipment after you invested 200 hours into the game.

• Many people still play this mmo over the newer MMOs due to the game being so easy to run even on shitty laptops.

The game is worth it if you like dragon ball and have a lot of hours (or $) spare to put Into to the game.

People have suggested a lot of ideas to modernize the game but they will probably not be implemented due to the fact that people play this game off of nostalgia and those people hate change.

It's crazy to think that quite a few people want to make the upgrade system even more luck dependent and reintroduce gear getting broken. The current system is terrible and is not rewarding at all for cashers or grinders (I've done both).

The class balance is absolutely terrible with classes being impossible to kill for certain classes. I don't know any mmo that has this sort of balance and class design.

Sadly, nothing will change the fact that this game is heavily dependent on RNG so you either live with it or just find a game you enjoy more.

• The class balance is absolutely terrible with classes being impossible to kill for certain classes. I don't know any mmo that has this sort of balance and class design.

Sadly, nothing will change the fact that this game is heavily dependent on RNG so you either live with it or just find a game you enjoy more.

maybe it wont change but it would be easy to get a way better balance RNG is not a problem if the fights have more duration, 1 critical strike can kill you right now thats the reason why the RNG is bad. they just have to realize the problems but i think they dont even try to figure out whats wrong.

its so easy to make this balance better

nerf crit damage taken

nerf reflect

nerf every single stun/fear/paralyze/confusion and whatever duration to the ground.

easy. just need a brain but this staff is useless bronze gamers

this guy own this game for like 2 years and he refuse to open his eyes i could do that work in 1 hour and this game is 500x better instantly

• The only thing i would argue is that what you dont like about a game might actually be what other people enjoy doing. people vary and you might think it's weird that people exist that actually enjoy leveling characters with quests from 0 to max but they might just think the same about the ones that pl to max cap asap and then get bored cus theres no end game :V
    Call it a grind, i call it exploring the world without just focusing on the objective. And yeah, it does get old if you do it multiple times. but keep in mind you do this in every single rpg the first time, mmo or otherwise.
    And its hard to expect frequent updates and new material in a game that's basically canceled and being hosted on by one man.

Also, i dont see why people need to keep saying this game isnt worth playing, even if it isnt.
    Move on to better pastures. Theres a fockton of good and better games out there, go play one of em and leave dbo for what it is.

• I used to play every day for 2 to 4 hours, since i first logged into DB TW, on weekends even longer(10 to 15 hours)..

When Daneos started with his work on Ragezone i tested all his releases and i played all stress tests and all closed tests.

These days i only log in once or twice a week(mostly weekends).. why? They lost me when they made "Dragonball hunt" a "dragonball-grind" - its so boring to grind for every single shit and now even to get DB's? Boring!

Next thing is that stupid idea to remove buffs if enter UD/TMQ/TLQ/korin tower.. i could understand if you loose them if u kick buffer out of party, but the way it is now just sux @ss! And why remove buffs on TLQ and korin tower?

Also that nonsens with AH lvl 29 and mailsystems(yes, yes i know scam bla bla bla) and free 1kkk shop aswell as PVP only on 1 channel and DC in CC and the SOUL and STR nerf and FOC/DEX and speed buff, brought me to the point where i said - not much enjoyment for me anymore! Only play for nostalgic or if weather is bad.. :)

• Honestly that's the most straightforward and honest answer. Really explains everything tbh, yeah when I started playing this game back in 2016-2017 it was out of nostalgia. Really nothing else. When I try to get my friends to play, they can't fathom why I like it so much. Thing is: I discovered Dragon ball online when I was 12. I literally was this little enamored kid living his DREAM MMO. Back then I couldn't see flaws with the game, it was anything a 12 year old fan of the series would want. I didnt even care about the english patch, I was so hyped i ignored the language barrier.

50 years have past, the Aku still remains. Times are a changing :P

• Well mostly, people here are those that played DBO and because of some players and videos out there, new people will come to try.

Soon they level up and see how much time consuming game is to even have fun ( participate in PVP and PVE contents), they give up.

They give up when they see that even when you get part of gear you like, you need to use shit tons of box to get stats you need then shit tons of stones to upgrade it and then, when they get decent, they see how some people easy getting on higher level than them and they decide to leave the game.

Only way for this game to survive, it is to change:

1. Add back scouter chips (everyone can get high anti critic)

2. Change of existing events

3. Work on skills and nerf/buff/change them to bring out entire balance

4. Change of upgrade system (Not RNG based)

With some change, DPS and healing (survival) of each character would be reduced, changed in way that fights would last a bit longer, where you would indeed see the role of classes ( DPS, Tanker, Support), and classes would be balanced.

From daily quests, guild quests to change of scramble to be 5 VS 5 event to dragon ball daily quests.

I had tons of ideas regarding game, events and sure it would take a bit time for them to be added/edited, but would change the game.

Still because of hacks, no bot guard, the game well, will sadly die, unless something changes.

I don't blame team nor Daneos for this fate of game, since there are community members here who like it this way and refuse any change of game.

Why they want game dead, well ask them?

PWIceman-Dark1.gif

“I’d rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who i’m not”
    IGN: Iceman 19_small.png Shadow Knight 19_small.png
    IGN: Iceman
      13_small.png Dark Warrior 13_small.png
    Discord: Iceman#8402

• The acquisition of usable gear is also another argument as to why the game has terrible performance: Getting new gear rarely makes a difference until you also grind out the stones necessary to upgrade the gear to a significant degree. I remember reaching level 60 and buying a new set and seeing barely any difference in playtime. Sure I did more damage, but mobs had more HP, so it still took the same amount of time to kill the same mobs, and having to go through the same 6 damaging moves I had,in the same order, to the same groups of enemies, 800 times until I level up only to get a single skill point that I can't even use. There's no progression!

Also there's the lack of survivability- Dying means having to fly back to the original area, having to wait 2 hours to reapply dragon buffs otherwise you'll be put at an unfair disadvantage, its absurd!! Even super saiyan takes a god damn hour to charge, probably because they wanted to hype ssj potions.

There's literally no incentive to level up, considering grinding is the only effective means and its cancerous. Why don't quests give out more exp? Why should it take an absurdly long amount of time to level up once, and only acquiring a single skill point?

Let me use a demonstration: At level 63, it takes 1,200,000 xp to level up. Assuming its the weekend and you get a 50% xp boost, you get about 800xp per enemy. 1,200,000/800 = 1500 mobs needing to be killed. That's horrendous. My fighter was weak because i couldn't afford good gear, but I still had a +6 stick and +5 armor: I would have to kill about 5 enemies, then sit down to heal. In essence, I killed, on average, about 4 mobs per minute. (note: I would kill more, but I would have to take into account siting down to heal, and waiting the 60 seconds for the healing items to work again. This means it would take 1500/4 minutes = 375 minutes to level up once (Or about 6 hours). That's ASSUMING we're working with a 50% xp boost. So I grind doing NOTHING for 6 hours and what do I get? An SP that I can't even use because my moves are already maxed at this point. Why level up further? Why play this mind-numbing game?

At this point its just a nightmare revisiting that. Its just so boring. Multiply that by 6 more times, and it means: 36 more hours to get to level 70 from 64. Wow. In that time I could actually play an enjoyable game.

• absolutly true but sadly staff will ignore you like all others and do what they like

• I wanted to play for the nostalgia and be the best swordsman in this version but there are so many unnecessary changes that’s killing this game. Plus the bot system not being implemented and upgrading hacks are back. I log on and ask myself, what’s even the point in playing this anymore? Game might die out in 1 year max, pretty much dead now.

• First of all....I already quit the game. I think 2 month ago? 55lvl cap? Dont know exactly....my fighter was lvl52? My DW lvl45?

It is not important. But I fallow all the the time the forum, (yes hate me! - again, I can live with it!)

But as a real old player, someone who made money in other online games (real old pro!) In some way, I know what Im talking about...

I said again!

1.) Delete the multi account option!!! (If you damn casuals are not able to lvl up your chars without a majin alt. Sorry you are bad! Or to say it in DB way: You are low class soldiers!) And it is also the first way/step against the botter!

2.) We need the old way back at upgrade your gear - no white stones means your gear will be broken! (Yes, I remember: +8 or +9 was so damn epic @TW time)

3.) And now I receive the biggest hate - We need a wipe. A second one! Np for the cashers, give them CP to buy stones, kids clock and what else! Trust me, even WITH the white stones for the cashers in shop, it was damn rough to upgrade your gear beyond the f2p players! Hello PvP basics!

4.) Now, my personal way to give this thing here hope (and additional much more hate for me!). NO Majins ingame (for now/the moment!) Majins are to push your chars. We should think about to do all the things without buffs FIRST! Let us play PVE/PVP without them. Of course, we ALL would have some problems then. (Yes, we will die easily in CC) But we need that time/option to balance many things!

Or stay alone with 5.)

5.) In 1-3 month, here will be ALL dead. No more love by us "casuals" to try to improve the game. Yes I know, it is private here. But this is also our possibility to get out. To make the game better! Here are some (realy rare!) people to know what to do! Use them! Btw. Im not one of them!

My 2cents for the next 1-3month!

Hodor!

• 1. Guess 90% of the community lost their only way of farming efficiently huh? Correct me if I'm wrong but the developers of Retail tried that, but there are ways of getting past that. You'd be screwing over the majority of the community that can't afford a VPN and uses a program for multi-clienting.

2. I've already debunked this so many times..... it won't work. Here's why, check out my post on the 2nd page.

-> they stone a large amount

3. I disagree, but you're entitled to your own opinion.

4. So what you're saying is... remove all Majins from the game? If not, what's your intention? Why would we need to do PvE without Majin buffs when a majority of the community has already gone through that once before. Everyone was a noob at some point, thus most of us have hit cap without Majin buffs before. Why should we do it again?

5. Daneos is trying to turn DBOG into his own personal project, he based it off of TW, but he's not going to turn it into TW.

• Despite the major development flaws, a Dragonball RPG game like this was always what fans called for, an open world Dragonball game they could immerse themselves into and directly become part of. To this date the franchise management has failed to come with anything better, not even Xenoverse can beat this game. So here we are until a proper Dragonball MMORPG comes out.

Having said that, with the current state of the game there is little to no reason to actually invest time trying to progress. As previously said, the lack of proper class balancing cuts the amount of playable classes by half, and the RNG dependency will make you frustrated way more often than pleased. It is nothing new whatsoever, while this particular private server has improved many aspects of the game compared to retail, it has broken many others, some which we will never be able to fully fix. It would take a full redesign of nearly every feature in the game to make it functional.

All-in-all it is a very exciting game for new comers, but things will surely take a turn in the long run.

• 2.) We need the old way back at upgrade your gear - no white stones means your gear will be broken! (Yes, I remember: +8 or +9 was so damn epic @TW time)

that was dbotw. here in dbog +12 is same like +7 in dbotw becouse they nerf the dmg very much. also properties got nefed. u cant compared pro and hobby. and even retail was still in development and not complete.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!