Malware and Power Levels

• Just downloaded and logged in for first time today. Discovering that this exists was like discovering a years-old dream I had given up on - I'm SOOO glad you guys did this!!!

2 major points of feedback:

1. Somehow I received malware in the process. Opens up random browser windows to norton antivirus. It's been literally ~10 years since I had a piece of malware randomly opening up browser windows on me, and I've always avoided it by simply sticking to trusted sites/connections. That includes avoiding downloading executables from a mirror site like mediafire, but today I did that for the first time in years in order to DL this game and, whataya know, random browser windows popping up. I'm unsure if your file is infected by the mirror site I selected (I chose "Download #1") or if your core file is somehow infected itself.
      How expensive would it be to host the file yourself somewhere? I assume it's bandwidth costs you're trying to avoid. Maybe some of us could pitch in or donate to make that happen?
    2. For complete noobs like myself who are coming here without having played before, and are most excited about experiencing elements from the show itself, the power levels are a MAJOR draw. It appears, however, that there is a mismatch between the power level shown in my character sheet vs what others see when they scan me with their scouters. If scouters could become reliable (and maybe even meaningful) items to use, that would IMMENSELY increase the enjoyment for the casual player like myself, as opposed to the min/maxers who will ignore power level and just focus on whatever it takes to git gud, etc.

Keep in mind that I understand powerlevel is irrelevant to all dedicated players at this point. For new players considering getting into it, it's a huge draw for many of us.

• Hey, welcome back! I'm glad you guys all get to play. For #1, false positives from Norton aren't unheard of, but it's unusual that it'd be opening a browser. Does Norton open a browser every time it picks up any threat for you? #2 is on my to do list, it really bothered me when I started as well. I have plans for it, but they may have to wait until after we're on the open source client, and I have a little more control over things.

• I don't have norton installed and never have. A browser window popped up (new window, not a tab) with a really goofy small size and it had loaded a page which was encouraging me to purchase/download norton. I didn't look at the domain to validate it was a legitimate domain likely owned by norton before I closed the window, but I've had an extremely successful software dev career over the last 15 years and am fairly good at picking out malware - this was almost definitely it. A software spawned a window and loaded some sketchy page.

• It's odd that you're the only person who's ever downloaded this and gotten something from it, since I took over. Which website did you download from? Did you still have the download window open when you installed it?

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!