Posts by macdaddymario

I didn't say it was. I was just noting that as the game is using copyrighted material in the forms of characters/names/designs/worlds/stories and the like; there are legal grounds for the rights holders to stand on if they want to throw their weight around. This is the risk you run while accepting donations, it removes the "Fair Use" claim that you can defend yourself and your free project with.

Does that mean that this project *WILL* be shut down? No. As I talked about before, ESF used to have a donation page, and they have been around for 10 years. During the height of the Budokai and Tenkaichi Budokai game releases, and Toei/Bird Studio/Bandai and (at the time) Atari didn't bother them. Just making sure that everyone knows that, *IF* legal action was taken, odds are that DBOG would end up shut down.

That wasn't the point they were making though, and you know it. There is no tangible evidence to support less/more Saiyan blood = more/less power. However, with Pan as an example, it stands to reason that the less Saiyan blood in the person, the harder it becomes to transform. It would also stand to reason that the transformation would have less Saiyan blood to "invigorate" and thus would be less powerful.

Either way, the point here is that this is a video game. And as a result, you have NO choice but to sacrifice potential lore in favor of balance. Even more so in a game that has a heavy PvP focus. A "50x multiplier" for a character with, at best 0.7% Saiyan blood, is silly and is easily something that can and *WAS* written off as reasoning. It's not even an ability that the average human in the game can obtain, no matter how much they train. You LITERALLY have to wish for Shenron to unlock your latent Saiyan blood, to achieve the transformation.

Using the names that are in the game, using the "Dragon Ball" title, instantly make this a legal matter. Any lawyer worth his weight would push that, while donations may be used to keep the server active, it is still being used as a form of personal gain, and no money is being sent to the legal owners of the copyrights used within the product. So *IF* Bandai, or Toei, or Bird Studios saw this project, and noticed the donations, and decided to... they have more than enough legal ground to shut the thing down.

That being said! ESF (Earth's Special Forces), the HL1 mod, is still up and running. They use the character likenesses, and names, along with attack names and audio clips ripped right from the series. However, they removed their donation option *BECAUSE* of the legal grounds it gives right holders to stand on, and removes their right to claim "Fair Use".

Source: ex ESF beta tester, any number of the developers will vouch for me.

nice probably best to wait till open beta as it wont wipe when full release.. let me know if you do end up making one ill participate

We did end up making one. Revenants. Next time you're on, send a mail to Salantro so I have your in game name and I can shoot you an invite if you're still interested.

Finally. Wanted one of these since the launch of the Korean open beta. Anyway, looks good. I do agree about maybe providing a way for us to see what each skill does/how they change with each point put in.

Other than that, good work for a first build!

EDIT: I stand corrected. I was miffed about having to put a point in to a skill to get the stats to pop up, then take the point away to see the base stats, but apparently you can just press and hold like you were taking a point away to begin with and it'll work. Good job!

On note of the new maps, you could see it was planned in the old DBO, and was even used. There were one or two maps over the 3 years that were added. You could see 5 more planned, we just never got that far. I assume those would have been used to continue the TMQ's up to and including the Buu saga, but sadly the would will never know now.

I don't understand why you guys are suggesting SSG and SSGSS because at this point and time game wise the concept didn't exist. Also the game follows the manga strictly so no GT stuff.

Really is it so much to just be happy with what we got and simply build up from there? Hell I wrote this long-ass explanation on a transformation skill tree to further customize the transformations to suit the player's wants/needs.

If it makes you feel better, I'm with you. Though, I suppose at the same time, there isn't really a reason why something like a lightning effect can't be an equip item for say, the 'back' slot. If someone was desperate enough for a 'ssj2' look. No need for extra skills and balancing that way.. but meh.

I'd like to give this a shot, but I think I'm doing something wrong. I download the zip file, and then just right click on it and extract the files to my DBOG folder right? Only cause when I do this, the DBOG.exe constantly errors out. Not like a red x error, it just tells me that "DBOG.exe has stopped working". Any ideas?