Why is the project Closed Source ?

• Hi everyone! I'm new in the community of DBO Server Development so i do not expect any consideration :)
    I was just wondering why is the project closed source ? I think that if the goal of the project is to release a playable server as soon as possible make the project open source would speed up greatly the time to release of the server.

I'm asking because I'm an informatic Engineer and I tried to apply a couple of development team with no replys.
    I'm not the best developer in the world and probably I would not dedicate my whole spare time in developing DBO Server... But any help should be accepted or I'm wrong ?
    Anyway it's not a complaint topic :) Just curiosity.

Good Luck ! I'll come back for sure when you'll have a release !

• If here would be open source for all, here will be more private servers than players.
    "informatic Engineer" without brain is useless informatic Engineer

The first sentence is not an "answer". This may be true for every open source project, but anyway in open source projects only the well structured teams go on. The rest is just lost code in the internet... And more servers means more developers that may try to help themselves...

Totally agree with second sentence :)

• Thing is, it wouldn't help us at all. If you do want DBO to come back as quickly as possible, then you focus on one good and prepared community, instead of separating everyone throughout several random ones.

In most cases, more people does not mean faster results. I personally believe that if we had several people working on the same thing, it would just be a huge mess. And if you or anyone has high coding skills or anything at all that can help a project out, just apply and show them what you can do, to persuade them. But even if you don't get accepted, it usually just means that they're not looking to recruit new people into their project at that time, because they simply don't need to (though in some causes, they might be wrong about that).

As for DBOG specifically, progress is going pretty smoothly so far, but you can always try and apply for something.

• OK. Thanks for answer. That's enought for my curiosity :). We just have differenti ideas. Just hoping that the real reason is not to make business.

Hope you can work for me, for free for sure, in the future, you can call your friends and familly they can help you, and all can work for free with you, for me.

I think ppl like you are just parasites, who want feed on someone else's work, they come here with populist slogans like: work together, together we will work faster, you should accept an help, all for free, etc, etc...
    This is bullshit.
    nbvnv.png

• Hope you can work for me, for free for sure, in the future, you can call your friends and familly they can help you, and all can work for free with you, for me.

I think ppl like you are just parasites, who want feed on someone else's work, they come here with populist slogans like: work together, together we will work faster, you should accept an help, all for free, etc, etc...
    This is bullshit.

Mate you have no idea of what kind of person I am, but you bothered to judge me by intuition... I already helped the development of open source projects as external member, and of course for free. Almost every open source project is developed "for free". If every one think like you in the world we would had not Unix system, we would not had VLC and more softwares that you probably use every day without even know that it was developed "for free".
    Mangos is totally open source and free, but probably you don't even know what I'm talking about :). I don't want to steal anything and I'm not there to create confusion.

Reverse Engineering is not "working" given that it's not legal and to make a business out of an activity like that it's quite sad (in my opinion). Clearly I do not mean to judge anyone, just saying that if I could help a project like this one I would helped for free obviously. There are much easier ways to earn money coding :)

Best regards

• Absolute no reason for us making the source public and wasting 6 month of work.
    At the end we will have more problems and less motivitation to continue the work.

Sometimes even someone like Daneos can say something good, and normal, here is still hope for him.
    But he change his old avatar to more gay avatar so... Looks like Mikoto from K project but gay version.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!