Server Disconnects

• Hello!

So I came back to this game a few weeks ago after a multiyear hiatus. While I am a little sad that all of my progress was erased (understandable, but still sad), that is not why I'm posting. Since I've been back, I haven't been able to play for longer than 30 minutes at a time before I get disconnected from the server. It's never been the same amount of time; sometimes it's after 5 minutes, sometimes it's after 20 minutes...the longest stretch I've played thus far is around 30 minutes. I am always doing something different when it occurs: it's happened in the middle of a fight with a random mob, while traveling on the scooter, while moving around Kokkara Village (since I'm still in the early game)...it's been really random. The launcher loads up just fine, and I'm able to login to the game and load up one of my characters without any other issue.

I just now tried to play and got maybe 7-8 minutes in before I got the "*Server* You have disconnected." message box. I tried to get a screenshot, but the game closed itself before I could. I didn't see an error code displayed anywhere, either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Hey DaBuffalo,

We've added some custom anticheat with movement validation that could be part of the problem, but I think we've gotten almost all of the bugs ironed out with that. The issue is that as it gets more accurate, it exposes more low level simulation bugs with the game server that were just never a problem before, because the server wasn't really validating where anyone was before. We added this to cut down on the efficiency of the automated teleport farming bots, and it works pretty well at that.

For an example of some of the low level simulation bugs it's exposed, recently we discovered that until a few weeks ago, the server had no idea where a character was going when they clicked to pick up an item. One moment they were standing still, and the next, the server thought they disappeared, and reappeared next to the item. That's just one example, but we've found a bunch like that with certain teleport skills, etc. This old client has been messed with a lot over the years by various devs before it got to us, so it's not always sending or properly handling the packets it should.

All that said, we're fixing these as we find them, and we're switching to a client we have more control over soon, to help us debug stuff like this. If you can tell us how to consistently reproduce your disconnects, we'll find the bugs and fix them as best we can. Outside of that, the netcode isn't very good at handling unstable connections. Can you run a ping test to the server and tell us what you see?

• Hit the start menu, type "powershell" and open the app. That's going to open a text box with a blue background. In there, type "ping -t 147.135.105.79" and hit enter. That's going to start a running ping test to the game server, and it'll tell you if you have high latency, and if you are dropping a lot of packets. Maximize it, wait until the screen fills up with pings, and send me a screenshot of that in a ticket here on the forum!

• Hit the start menu, type "powershell" and open the app. That's going to open a text box with a blue background. In there, type "ping -t 147.135.105.79" and hit enter. That's going to start a running ping test to the game server, and it'll tell you if you have high latency, and if you are dropping a lot of packets. Maximize it, wait until the screen fills up with pings, and send me a screenshot of that in a ticket here on the forum!

I ran a ping as well, because I'm getting kicked off the server constantly (every 2 minutes or so). and it doesn't seem like I have any issues with the ping:

64 bytes from 147.135.105.79:icmp_seq=2 ttl=110 time=165 ms

64 bytes from 147.135.105.79: icmp_seq=3 ttl=110 time=162 ms

64 bytes from 147.135.105.79: icmp_seq=4 ttl=110 time=165 ms

64 bytes from 147.135.105.79: icmp_seq=5 ttl=110 time=163 ms

64 bytes from 147.135.105.79: icmp_seq=6 ttl=110 time=165 ms

64 bytes from 147.135.105.79: icmp_seq=7 ttl=110 time=160 ms

64 bytes from 147.135.105.79: icmp_seq=8 ttl=110 time=160 ms

I am running on linux, so maybe the anti cheat mechanisms are picking that up and disconnecting an "invalid" client?

• No, it's usually the movement validation that's DCing people. Did you have any dropped packets running longer than a few seconds?

• I posted a ticket, but I'll post the attachment here too:

And I'm running another ping test now, as well (many apologies for taking the screenshots with my phone this time around):

I didn't see any of the General Failure messages yesterday, but today they're happening roughly within 2-3 minutes of each other (I still have the test running, and they're still popping up every so often...not as frequently as the request time outs, but still).

Addendum: Okay...I still have it running, and I just saw two "Destination host unreachable" messages from my IP address within maybe 30 seconds of each other.

• I posted a ticket, but I'll post the attachment here too:

And I'm running another ping test now, as well (many apologies for taking the screenshots with my phone this time around):

I didn't see any of the General Failure messages yesterday, but today they're happening roughly within 2-3 minutes of each other (I still have the test running, and they're still popping up every so often...not as frequently as the request time outs, but still).

Addendum: Okay...I still have it running, and I just saw two "Destination host unreachable" messages from my IP address within maybe 30 seconds of each other.

Try not to post IRL images here, they could contain metadata that would reveal your location. That's why I asked you to post a ticket, those are private, haha. It looks like you're having a connectivity issue though, each one of those general failures could be a disconnect from the server. Do the same thing with 8.8.8.8 and tell me what you see. That will narrow it down a bit.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • xD
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • D:
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • <3
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • =O
    • :!:
    • :?:
    The maximum number of attachments: 10
    Maximum File Size: 1 MB
    Allowed extensions: bmp, gif, jpeg, jpg, pdf, png, txt, zip

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!