A question about this project

• Im not saying there is something ilegal here.. i just wonder what kind of deal the one who is leading this have with the old company that created dbo.. because we can still see the logo and name of the old company that made dbo in the first place and also see DBO CT TW in a lot of places.. did they just did some kind of deal so you guys can use the game and avoid legal problem by putting their name in the project?

• I don't know if there are agreements between these things. Of course you see their logo because they created this game in the beginning of this game.
    I don't think that NTL has so much interest in this community already on the motion. And I think DBOG knows how to not exceed the part of the copyright.They are rewriting the game by not using the codes of NTL. This is just my guess, we have to hear from who knows. But I think they have already discussed long ago about that.

• Im not saying there is something ilegal here.. i just wonder what kind of deal the one who is leading this have with the old company that created dbo.. because we can still see the logo and name of the old company that made dbo in the first place and also see DBO CT TW in a lot of places.. did they just did some kind of deal so you guys can use the game and avoid legal problem by putting their name in the project?

nope,no agreement.

the logo is just there because they created the game just like Noxt pointed out,the official game tanked so the interest in what daneos is doing is close to zero.
    look at the wow private servers,i mean wow is a triple a mmo and p servers are everywhere so you can rest assured that this project wont get into any trouble.

• The only data we use are the ones which you can find inside the client.

If you wanna come up with "this is illegal" then dont talk anymore until you come back with a lawyer and people who own the rights on DBO.

He said this xD And some other posts of the exact same subject he said that the game is here to stay Legally! Nothing is Illegal!

• Well, as someone who does know law, the models and assets used in DBOG, were made by NTL, and Bandai owns the rights to that. There is no 'grey area' on this matter.

Bandai/Toei Animation/Bird Studios have shut down other DBZ based games before, which used all of their own hand made models and textures. It was called "Bid for Power". They decided to start taking donations and were promptly sent a C&D.

On the note of WoW private servers, that's not true at all. In fact, within the last year, the most popular WoW private server was hit with a C&D, and they didn't have a 'cash shop' of any kind.

The fact is, if this project is brought to the attention of Bandai (who owns legal, worldwide distribution rights to Dragon Ball related games), Bird Studios and/or Toei Animation; since the assets used in DBOG were not hand made from scratch, and there is in fact, a cash shop for real money.. All of those studios are well within their legal rights to shut the project down.

Even if the cash shop wasn't a thing, all they need to claim in court is that they are " Protecting the interest of shareholders and the name of the I.P.". Since they own the I.P. (intellectual property), and they did not OK the project, nor are they receiving a kick back from the cash shop, the court has no choice but to find in their favor.

This is of course all theoretical. There is nothing to say the legal owners of the copyright will file, but there is also nothing to say they won't. Just noting that if they did, they have the legal right and grounds to do so.

• Oh no I wasn't trying to imply anything towards you. I understand they have, but the rules with online games, and video games is different I feel. With online games once they closed they are closed you can't play them. With retail games that can still be purchased, and played typically those will be shut down. If they include Rom's, Modding the Original game, and or selling for profit, but that's like comparing oranges & apples
    Nintendo has shut down many many projects while Bethesda supports modding full on, and there is even a remake of Morrowind being made.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/?
    https://tesrenewal.com/

What I am merely saying is it depends on who it is, and what company your looking at. With Nintendo they can go and do as they please because they essentially have part ownership to Youtube, and are a major gaming company..., but Dragonball is made by multiple companies. Dimps, Spike, Bandai Namco Holdings, Bandai Namco Entertainment, Arika, Crafts & Meister, Avalanche Software, Shueisha , Tose, Monolith Soft, Banpresto, Game Republic, Webfoot Technologies, Shadows in darkness. inc, Media.Vision, BEC. While Dragon Ball Online is organized of the teams Shueisha, Bandai Namco Holdings, Bandai Namco Entertainment, Shanda, and Cayenne Entertainment Technology Co, Ltd.

For me it just feels like it would be more work then it's worth to go through all the trouble to shut down something that is helping your fan base become larger.

• And I agree that it depends on the company 100%. I just didn't want the theoretical possibility to happen, and everyone think they couldn't.

My post wasn't intended to imply that they would shut it down, and I appreciate that you understood that. I just wanted to get everyone on the same page so far as the law itself was concerned :)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!