Transformation Skill Tree

• *Note: I actually typed this all out on Word so I wouldn't lose it. XD*

Intro

Everyone is asking about either adding more transformations and/or reducing drain on the current ones. Something that I find lacking is that these suggestions are either poor execution or a poor representation of our transformations. Something we need to remember is that transformations as a whole are not only a stable in the entire Dragonball series, but also, in the case of Super Saiyan, one of the most iconic parts of the series. As such, I feel that they deserve better treatment in the game. My idea to fix this is to give transformations their own skill tree that use TP (transformation points) once you unlock the form. Seeing that the Pet revamp got similar treatment in the Lv. 70 cap there shouldn’t be too much of a problem with this once the game reaches a good point in development to implement this.

General

The general idea is to allow the player to customize their transformation to fit their character’s needs, which further implements the RP aspect of the game. A good example of this type of skill tree can be seen in “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim” with the Dawnguard DLC’s inclusion of Vampire Lord and Werewolf perk trees. By being transformed and performing certain actions (kill so many mobs, complete dungeons, etc) you would build up EXP until you gain one TP, which you can use on a skill. Obviously, you would only have so many TP and you won’t be able to max out every skill on the tree so you will have to choose wisely. To maintain balance, the CD for the transformations themselves will not change unless you have CD reduction gear like in the old game making it less likely for you to spam in Budokai. The possible boosts you can get will also be weaker than the transformation pots so that the latter doesn’t lose value in usage. Now on to the transformations.

Super Saiyan

With the Super Saiyan transformation, the skill tree will follow the transformation’s “lack of skill” feature meaning that all skills will be passive boosts that activate only when transformed. However, the tree offers numerous options to benefit the kind of character you’re working with by having three separate branches that split after the EP reduction cost for the transformation: physical, energy, and balance. The physical and energy branches obviously focus on increasing the effectiveness of the transformation for your character, but the passives with both branches also come with negative effects such as lower defense or increase EP consumption for skills. The balance tree, like it sounds, offers passives that can benefit both attack styles, but not to the same degree as the focused ones. In exchange, however, the passives will also have less/no punishing effects making some of them feel more practical than the focused passives. Regardless, Super Saiyans will be considered Glass Cannons in a sense due to Humans having low LP and Defense meaning that the player can't play recklessly with the transformation.

Great Namek

To stay true to the race’s function of being tanks/healers, Great Namek will come with a variety of buffs that benefit the user and, in some cases, party members. Obviously unlocking the transformation will grant you access to the two vanilla transformation-only skills at 1 TP as well as have a starting passive that increases the form’s duration to 12 and 15 minutes respectively. In addition to buffs, Great Namek will also gain one or two more skills to use offensively while transformed. However, the lower Dodge Rate that comes with the transformation can’t be relieved and can even get worse with the use of some buffs. Great Namek will also be the weakest transformation in terms of raw power meaning you’ll be using it more like a Stone Wall; tanky as hell, but can’t dish out damage without buffs and so damn slow.

Pure Majin

The Pure Majin transformation will focus on utilizing debuffs with a variety of effects to make mobs and bosses less of a challenge as well as easier to kill. These debuffs will come in a variety of effects such as DoTs, stat reduction, and crippling effects like stun or sleep. In addition, the transformation will also have more attack skills to work with as well as, like Great Namek, having the two vanilla skills unlocked at 1 TP (the damage output will be equal for Mighty and Wonder majins). However, Pure Majins won’t be able to benefit from many buffs or passives like an equal EP reduction passive that the Super Saiyan form has, but the power of their skills and debuffs will greatly make up for this.

• According to someone that was chatting with me the Super Saiyan form is bad with the Swordmaster form. So perhaps this skill tree can fix that problem.

The problem with SSJ and Martial Artists is that MAs don't have a lot of ki, which makes maintaining SSJ very difficult, but yes the tree would reduce the EP drain of the transformation.

I'm diggin' it.
    Although I'm curious how this would be balanced so we won't see everyone running transformed after a certain level...

As I said, CD will still be at 1 Hour. If you faint and lose your transformation, you'll have to wait for CD to end. Also the transformations won't completely negate their drawbacks (EP Drain for SSJ and Pure Majin and the time limit for Great Namek), especially those gained from the skill tree. Staying transformed also won't boost your EXP by a lot so you can't just sit and wait for you to level your transformation up...well unless you're willing to do it for several hours. :b

• The problem with SSJ and Martial Artists is that MAs don't have a lot of ki, which makes maintaining SSJ very difficult, but yes the tree would reduce the EP drain of the transformation.

As I said, CD will still be at 1 Hour. If you faint and lose your transformation, you'll have to wait for CD to end. Also the transformations won't completely negate their drawbacks (EP Drain for SSJ and Pure Majin and the time limit for Great Namek), especially those gained from the skill tree. Staying transformed also won't boost your EXP by a lot so you can't just sit and wait for you to level your transformation up...well unless you're willing to do it for several hours. :b

Thats why they have Stun to make up for the lack of ki and their dps is already high.
    nonetheless i do like the idea though sort off.

• The problem with SSJ and Martial Artists is that MAs don't have a lot of ki, which makes maintaining SSJ very difficult, but yes the tree would reduce the EP drain of the transformation.

Well since I will be making a new character anyway when the open beta happens I may just go with Spirtualist next time.

• Figured I'd put this here, but if you remember the Cell arc in the original series it showcased various stages of the original Super Saiyan form that I could consider to be similar to my suggestion. To elaborate...

Vegeta/Future Trunks used SSJ Grades 2/3, which is a forced increase in power output of the original form that came with buffed muscles.

Goku/Trunks used Full-Power SSJ, which is mental and physical mastery of the form.

So in a sense the series has already did something similar to my idea. :>

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!